subscribe » advertise » wholesale » contact us
ColumnsReviewsFeaturesRegionalVideosBlogs
/// HEARD IT THROUGH THE HOPVINE
 
AUGUST/SEPTEMBER 1995 » BACK TO HOPVINE INDEX
 
HEARD IT THROUGH THE HOPVINE
There's a new micro going in to the Cayman Islands. (Really!) In addition to some of the best diving in the world, how about a Cayman beer named "Came an' Went." How 'bout not...

Those folks at the Thomas Kemper brewery across the sound from Seattle have a great time each September/October with their now-famous Oktoberfest Celebration. This year, look for the Kemper-logoed sleeveless jackets they are calling "Oktober Vests!"...

The new brews at Desert Edge Brewery at the Pub in Salt Lake City, UT, include Generation X Pale Ale and Latter Days Stout! Peter Burrell, of Dempsey's fame in Petaluma, CA, was consultant.

Un-Clear on the Consumption Concept Dept.: My Brother's Place in Washington, DC, advertises "Salute the Summer with: All U Can Drink Saturdays - 8:00 p.m. to 12 a.m. -$10." Yeow! Four hours for ten bucks!!! Not just the megabrew sparkling rice water, either. This study in moderation includes Pete's, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Saranac, Old Dominion and (ouch) Carlsberg! There oughta be a law...

Internet Lite Dept.: The MGD (Miller Genuine Draft) Tap Room is operational on the World Wide Web through Internet. The Tap Room calls itself a "virtual pub," featuring information on the latest in music, fashion, night life, art, sports, food and social trends. When was the last time you got any of that stuff at your local? Well, night life ... maybe. Perhaps they could mention BEER once in a while? Hey, they got an "alternative" media reporter (no doubt telling you about the joys of plaid flannel, heavy boots in hot weather and pierced parts)! They don't say "alternative to what," however.

Speaking of the beer net: much talk about who helped Labatt's get into Belgium with their Ice Beer. There are suggestions of an Interbrew/Anheuser-Busch deal aplenty. Sounds far-fetched from here, but consider the idea of a new corporate giant called InterBusch... AnheuserBrew? Stay tuned ... Meanwhile, one beer/net discussion suggested throwing the whole thread to Congress and letting them decide! The Contract Beer with America!!! (All the Newt that's fit to drink)

Conan O'Brien checks in with, "A new study reveals that alcohol increases a woman's life expectancy by 17 percent ... it increases a man's chances with a woman by 83 percent!" Thanks, NBC. And why do women outlive men by an average of seven years? They have to stay around to pick up the clothes, silly...

A recent trip to Ireland left me with a warm and healthy respect for the Irish temperament. John Hansell, publisher of the Malt Advocate, and I wandered into a pub called "The Clinic" at 9:00 a.m., seeking refreshment and local color. We got both in considerable quantity. Henry, a local octogenarian, was both provocateur and conciliator. When asked how the pub came about its name, the response was, "It ministers to the needs of the shaky."

The Silver and Black are back! The Raiders are returning to Oakland, and Devil Mountain Brewery didn't waste much time in announcing their new brew - Raider Red Ale! It will be a seasonal beer (preseason through the Super Bowl). Order now, pay Raider?...

Brewery start-ups are accustomed to delay, but the Powerhouse Brewing Company going into a turn- of-the-century building in Sebastopol, CA, had a doozy. The renovation came to a halt when workers discovered pristine, 90-year-old redwood paneling over old-growth 2 x 4 studs that couldn't be purchased anywhere today. The salvage operation put the proposed opening back until fall. Look for antique redwood wainscoting and trim throughout the restaurant/bar area when you visit.

Save the Copper Kettles! Our government is fond of telling us what's good for us. Their latest kick- copper is harmful and should not be used in the processing of food products! Does that mean our beautiful copper kettles, the hallmark of the brewing tradition for centuries, must go? According to a bulletin from the Institute for Brewing Studies, maybe. Write your congressperson and stay tuned...

Suggestion for The Institute for Brewing Studies in exploring some new areas of specialty interest. How about a new Institute for friends who put up stewed vegetables: The Institute for Stewing Buddies! Just a thought...

Speaking of copper, a beautiful 1996 calendar has just been released featuring several gorgeous copper kettles from breweries like Triumph in Princeton, Baltimore Brewing, Boston Beer Works and Spring Garden Brewing in Greensboro, NC. Some good resource material contained in the calendar, and all for $10.95. Write to: Copper Kettle Concepts, Box 7045, Marietta, GA 30065.

Just when you think beer education has come a long way... a brewer told me about overhearing a server at his former SoCal brewpub explain to a customer that "the color of the stout comes from the chocolat e-covered hops." Hey, I like chocolate too, but reeeeally!

 

Advertisement

 

home » columns » reviews » features » regional » videos + » blogs » events » subscribe » advertise » wholesale » contact us

© Celebrator Beer News | Dalldorf Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. Hosting provided by RealBeer.